Welcome to the Fit Happy Woman blog! I thought it appropriate that this first blog post include my mother, Cristina. She is a great reason as to why I do what I do. 🙂
My mother’s specialty is cooking. I grew up eating her delicious Nicaraguan food, especially her chicken soup. She would make giant vats of it during the winter, or anytime we got sick. This stuff is amazing and better than all of the cold remedies out there. It is an immune system booster and a truly healthy comfort food. You can add barley, quinoa, rice, noodles, etc… to make it heartier, or a more kid-friendly (freakin’ carboholics) soup.
The first episode of Cooking with Cristina was a success! There are, however, plenty of things we will do differently next time, but we had so much fun, and the soup is delish!
When you watch the video you will see that we made enough soup to feed a small army. That’s how my mom rolls, just like any stereotypical mom out there. This gluten and dairy free recipe is high in protein and is loaded with many nutrient dense ingredients.
“Who says comfort food has to be unhealthy?
The key to making this soup flavorful is the broth. The base of this soup, other than chicken, is a ton of garlic, ginger, onion and lime or lemon. This will make the other flavors pop, and every bite will bring on a sense of comfort and joy as the broth enhances your immune system and fills your body with goodness. Who says comfort food has to be unhealthy?
I hope you enjoy the video. It is 13 minutes in length and shows you step by step how to make this awesome soup.
In the next episode, I will let Cristina chat up the camera a bit more. I would love your constructive feedback… BTW, I understand that I am a total dork, so let’s just get that out of the way.
Enjoy the soup!
Cristina’s Chicken soup
- Prep time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 90 Minutes
- Servings: Approx. 15
- Source: Cristina Barrios (AKA Mom)
- 1 Whole Chicken (preferably organic/free range) cut up into large pieces and peeled
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 5 TBS Ginger
- 4 Cloves Garlic cut up
- 2 TBS Andy’s Rub
- 1 TBS Salt (Add less if needed)
- 1 Cup of Lime Juice
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro (cut into small pieces)
- 1 Chayote (peeled, removed seeds and diced)
- 4 Carrots Cut into 1/4” rounds
- 1 Sweet Potato peeled and diced
- 2 Medium Zucchinis (Cut into 1/2” Rounds)
- 4-5 big chunks of frozen Yucca/Cassava Root
- 1 Apple, peel, remove seeds and dice
- 2 cups Butternut Squash Diced
- 6 or 7 Stalks of Baby Bok Choy, remove bottom
- ½ Head of Purple or Green Cabbage
- Fill Up 10-12 Quart Soup Pot ½ Way with Filtered Warm and begin heating up.
- Begin Chopping up all of the Chicken, herbs, and veggies.
- Once the Water is Boiling Add the Chicken, Cilantro, Lime Juice, Ginger, Garlic, Onion, Yucca, Carrots, Chayote, Andy’s Rub and salt.
- Let simmer for 45 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way.
- Once the Chicken is Cooked all the way add the rest of the ingredients.
- Let simmer for another 20-30 minutes until veggies are soft.
- Let Cool Down serve and Enjoy!
- Keep ½ of the soup for consumption throughout the next few days, and freeze the rest.
Notes: This is a giant batch of soup. Feel free to cut the recipe in half, or make the entire batch and freeze half for an easy meal at a later date. Feel free to add any other veggies to the soup. The more the merrier.